Blogger things I want to be better at

Blogging things to get better at justemmi.comI’m fortunate that as a journalist writing comes easy for me – but that doesn’t mean I’m any good nor does it make me an expert when it comes to blogging. I’ve been blogging on and off now for a good four years under various names, but there are still a lot of things which I’m left to learn.

I wanted to create this post to share that there is always room for improvement and to learn something new. Afterall knowledge and skills are so important in everything we do.

PHOTOGRAPHY

This is probably the one thing that we are always wanting to get better at as bloggers. Let’s face it, photography can be the one thing that makes or breaks a blog. There are so many elements to it aswell from what type of camera to use, white balance, lighting, colour, placement of items in the image. I try my best but there is always something I seem to get wrong or don’t like – doesn’t help that I’m picky.

Photography doesn’t have to be hard though. Once you get the basics down and find a type of flatplan or style that works for you then it should all come naturally. I’m going to make it my goal to improve my photography skills next month.

TWITTER CHATS

Ok hands up, I can’t be the only one who gets lost in Twitter chats with the amount of notifications, conversations and questions being thrown back and forth. I do try, but around question number 3 I am so swamped in notifications that I end up missing the next two questions. Sometimes I just forget that they are even happening and the next thing I know I’m seeing tweets about how good the chat was and I realised I’ve missed the whole thing.

I don’t know if there is some sort of knack to it but if you have any advice on how to keep up with them please let me know.

INSTAGRAM

Right let me just say one thing. I don’t get Instagram. The usual way any social media works is the more you post the more people follow you, interact with you etc. I think its safe to say I have no idea what is going on with instagram and their algorithm. I gain followers when i dont post and lose them when i do.

Despite all this I do really want to have a bank of photographs so i can post everyday. i do actually like Instagram and the idea of a picture tells a thousand words.

POSTING MORE OFTEN

I generally post twice a week but with university and work this has been a bit hit and miss recently. I’m actually planning on posting every day throughout the month of May so I better get good at this sooner rather than later. I do feel that as a blogger and reader of blogs i am more engaged with those who post often rather than here and there. I also think that by writing and blogging more often it will really help me to improve my blog and find my voice.

Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest

© Emmi Bowles

13 Comments

1. April 10, 2017 / 12:00 pm

Love this. Feel like I’m at the exact same point in my life so it’s nice to know I’m not the only one! All the best! X

• April 10, 2017 / 12:03 pm

It is so important to want to improve things about your life. I’m glad you liked my post, thank you for commenting. x

• April 10, 2017 / 6:22 pm

Thank you Sophie. Even if it’s a little at a time it’s all worthwhile x

2. Jasmin N
    April 11, 2017 / 6:28 am

I used to be so good at keeping up with twitter chats but now when I took a one-month break, I’ve completely lost my touch haha 😀

♥ Jasmin N
    // Little Things With Jassy

• April 11, 2017 / 7:00 am

I joined in one last night and kept up for a good 40 minutes which is a record for me haha

3. April 12, 2017 / 6:28 pm

If you figure out how to get better at Instagram, please let me know!

• April 12, 2017 / 6:29 pm

It will be a miracle if I do haha

4. April 12, 2017 / 11:51 pm

Honestly Instagram is game of chance, the way I’ve really grown mine is by using Twitter & Facebook groups to follow real people versus a lot of bot accounts. As for twitter chats, personally what I like to do is answer the questions and then go and look / reply to other people and then do a quick scan of my notification. It’s impossible to reply to everyone, so sometimes you have to just fav it and move on. I’ve been in bigger chats, that have such an incredible amount of people that it can get overwhelming. The trick is that you can always discuss these topics after the fact as well, so reply to everyone isn’t really the most important part. Hope this helps a little bit 🤷🏼‍♀️

• April 12, 2017 / 11:53 pm

I agree Instagram is hit and miss at the moment. I’ve gotten used to who I should and shouldn’t follow now and it’s slowly growing

5. April 30, 2017 / 11:12 am

I really enjoyed reading this, and my goals are quite similar! It sounds ridiculous, but the only way I can keep up with twitter chats is if I use my laptop to stay on the chat page so I don’t miss a question, and use my phone to respond to notifications!

6. July 27, 2017 / 11:49 pm