Why I don’t wear make-up

Make-up, brushes an bagNow I’m not some self-loving person who thinks they are too good to wear make-up. I do wear it on nights out and for special occasions, but on a day to day basis I just don’t bother.

I don’t have the best skin and I’m not stunning like some girls, in all honesty I would just rather spend the extra half an hour in bed.

But make-up and wearing it everyday has become a common ritual for most girls my age, so much so I stand out for not wearing it.

There are quite a few reasons why I don’t wear make-up daily and although the main reason is because I just can’t be bothered, I also don’t see the point in it.

I know for a lot of girls my age make-up can give them confidence and help them feel better about their own insecurities. I have insecurities as much as the next person, but if anything I get more insecure when wearing make-up. This is becuase I think I’ve done it wrong, I look orange, my eyebrows are like slugs and it is all smudging and coming off throughout the day.

Make-up for me is something I do on a special day or occasion such as a meal or night out, Christmas or when I am wanting to take some nicer photos of myself. But I don’t feel the need to wear it on a day to day basis.

I wont lie. Make-up makes me feel like the best me I can be, especially in pictures. But that only lasts five minutes after the photo has been taken, then I see my massive nose which sadly no amount of contouring can hide.

Make-up for me just makes my face feel heavy and in a weird way, wet. I just want to rub it all off. But I do find the less make-up I wear the better my skin becomes, and the more concealer I put on a spot the worse it gets. So what’s the point? Let it have its breakout moment and after a few days in the spotlight it will disappear never to be seen again, or at least for a few weeks.

I also find that not having to put make-up on in the morning gives me more time to look after me. Have breakfast, find a matching pair of socks, walk to work at a comfy pace; instead of rushing around because I took too long redoing my make-up after it going completely wrong.

When I do wear make-up though for an event people notice and compliment me because of how different I look. This is why I try to save full face make-up for special occasions or going out so I can feel all done up and like a different person.

Do you wear make-up everyday? What one product can you not leave the house without wearing?

Twitter | Bloglovin | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest

© Emmi Bowles

makeup picture

17 Comments

1. December 17, 2016 / 5:48 pm

I personally wear makeup everyday but thats because i hate the way i look. Whenever i dont wear it i always get ‘ are you okay’ ‘ you look poorly’. Im not even saying i like my face with makeup because i dont but i feel way more confident

• December 17, 2016 / 5:49 pm

I think confidence is a big reason why many people where makeup and I know that when I have spots I feel that everyone is staring at me but makeup just makes it worse for me

2. December 20, 2016 / 10:29 am

I know what you mean, make up can feel so heavy and I love a fresh feeling face. I mostly wear make up but I don’t do a complete full face like I would on a night out, it’s a more “toned down” daily look, but sometimes I don’t bother. If I don’t want to wear make up I always put on under eye concealer regardless, its needed lol!

S x | SHELISES WORLD

• December 20, 2016 / 10:36 am

I agree. If there is anything I use it’s under eye concealer

3. January 8, 2017 / 11:16 pm

Emmi – I’ve rarely worn make up during my life – just on special occasions (Inc job interviews) like you I hate the heavy feeling – though foundations esp tinted moisturiser much better than it used to be – I’m 50 now so I don’t suppose I’ll be changing any time soon – I moisturise though. And you’re right less rush in morning too – love bec xx

• January 8, 2017 / 11:18 pm

I haven’t tried tinted moisturiser but I do always moisturise in the morning so I might give one a go

• January 8, 2017 / 11:20 pm

There’s a few good ones around – just need to get the tone match right. There’s also a clinique foundation I use which is v light feeling – I’ll have a look in morning – lasts ages too 🙂

• January 8, 2017 / 11:21 pm

When I use makeup I always use the Clinique foundation

• January 8, 2017 / 11:22 pm

Ah good 🙂 youre probably using a similar one to mine (they have different stuff for ‘mature’ skin)

• January 8, 2017 / 11:23 pm

Mines the CC cream

• January 8, 2017 / 11:27 pm

I’ve got a memory like a sieve but that sounds familiar 🙂

4. February 26, 2017 / 6:16 pm

Oh my word! Everything you’ve just written is exactly me! I wear makeup on special occasions but definitely don’t wear it everyday. It’s just too much effort plus I don’t like how it makes my skin feel!

• February 26, 2017 / 6:17 pm

Yes! I mean I do my eyebrows now I’ve had them done properly but I can’t be bothered with foundation and contouring

5. April 4, 2017 / 12:46 pm

At the moment I’m doing just the base because I prefer sleeping 5 minutes more than spend this 5 minutes doing my makeup and this has taught me to not give a shit. Only a couple of months ago going to work in the city centre almost without makeup would have make me feel super uncomfortable!! 🙂

Caterina | http://www.caterinasosso.com

• April 4, 2017 / 12:48 pm

I hate wearing base makeup but it is something I am looking to try out over Easter when I have more time to do it.